Thursday, March 18, 2010

Book Review!


I was so excited to get my hands on this book.  I'd read so many raving reviews that I knew it was going to be a hit.

Synopsis from Goodreads:  For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. 

I didn't like it.  I tried to, I really did, but I had to push myself to finish it. 
First off the parents, where were they?  Yes, there are parents out there who just let their kids run a muck, but they usually seem to have some issue going on like drugs, alcohol, emotional problems etc.  I have a hard time believing that normal, law abiding, loving, educated people would be so completely oblivious to their daughter.  The author did show us how self centered they were, even still, how can they not notice a boy living in their own house for a few weeks?  There was one scene where her mom finally woke up to the situation and tried to forbid her daughter from seeing Sam anymore, but in one sentence Grace convinced her mom otherwise.  Yeah, I am not buying it, it was just too convenient.  

I also hated/liked the changing point of view.  One chapter would put us in Sam's head and then we would be in Grace's head.  I did like knowing what Sam was thinking, but it changed so much that I would sometimes have to look at the chapter heading again to remember which head I was supposed to be in.  It was a good idea, but I felt confused.

Olivia and Rachel were boring.  These supposed best friends were with Grace in the beginning and just disappeared until they made a cameo appearance here and there.  If they are her best friends why weren't they knocking down her door to find her when she was so absent.  If my best friend ever fell off the face of the earth either emotionally or physically, you can bet your life that I would be putting my nose where it doesn't belong just to find her.  Same thing goes if she shows up with a mysterious boyfriend.  I would be digging very hard to get answers.  Where were the phone calls?  The unannounced drop ins?  Olivia was just grumpy and Rachel was overly giddy, but we were never shown a real relationship.  They could have just as easily not been in the book.

I wasn't really convinced about the love between Sam and Grace.  Yes, she had been infatuated with him as a wolf for 6 years, but she didn't know him as a person at all.  Sam admitted that as a wolf he doesn't think about things the same way as a human.  As a wolf he didn't have emotions like a human, it was more of an instinct.  He also said that as a wolf he doesn't remember the human things or people.  If this was the case how were they so in love with each other from the moment he was in human form?  They needed time to find out about each other and develop a relationship.   I couldn't stand that all they thought about was kissing or touching.  Teens do have raging hormones, but I don't want to read about it on every page.

Out of curiosity I will probably read the second book, but if it is much the same I don't think I will give a third a chance.

2 comments:

  1. What age group is the book targetted at? Sometimes teens read such crap just for escapist fun...I guess we want more quality as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did forget to mention that didn't I! It is a Young Adult fiction, so yes, it followed suit with just about every other Young Adult Sci Fi/Romance book out there. I will admit though, that there are some in that genre that I do enjoy reading. Very weird of me I know, but I am being honest!

    ReplyDelete