Friday, March 12, 2010

Book Review!


Yesterday I sat down and read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George. 

I loved it!  

Based on a Norwegian fairy tale, it has some reminders of Beauty and the Beast.  Considering I read it in an afternoon, it is an easy read, but the words are beautiful!  I loved the description, I loved the personalities, the tragedies, and the strength and determination.  The main character remains nameless through most of the book because she was unwanted by her mother who refused to give her a name.  She is referred to as "pika" which means small child by everyone.  When she rescues an enchanted deer she is finally given a name and the ability to speak to animals as thanks for her help.  She keeps her name and new talent to herself on the advice of her oldest brother, but word soon spreads that she has a way with animals.  The character goes on an adventure of a lifetime when an enchanted bear arrives at her cottage and asks that she live with him for one year.  I won't say any more because I don't want to give it all away! 


A very sweet story.

No comments:

Post a Comment